Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Man cannot live by bread alone...


...but with these rolls, you might consider it! :D I just finished up another double batch of Honey Oat cloverleaf rolls, my favorite rolls! This bread dough recipe makes enough to have 1 dozen to eat & 1 dozen to freeze. It's from The Bread Machine Cookbook series of books (Nitty Gritty Publications), although I forget which one. (I think it's the very first one.) Anyways, I make the 2 lb. loaf in my bread machine on the dough setting, and then shape them into these.
Here's what you need for the 2 lb. recipe for Honey Oat Bread:
1 1/2 Cups water
2 Tablespoons oil
1/3 Cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Cups oats
3 1/2 Cups bread flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
I put it all in the bread machine in that order, and I choose the dough setting. Then, when that's done, I'm ready to shape rolls! You can expect to need two 12 count muffin/cupcake pans for this. I divide the dough in half, then start pinching off bits of dough that are just slightly smaller than ping-pong ball shape. Roll it into a nice ball, and add it to a muffin cup. Put three of these in each muffin cup.
I also prefer to double-baste them with butter. One basting goes on before they cook, while they are rising, to promote browning. Then, as soon as they are out of the oven I'll baste them with butter again, which adds more flavor and keeps the crust softer. (Yeah, the butter's not so healthy, but it's good. It *might* work with something like Smart Balance Spread, as long as you're using one with a high oil content.) I've been cooking them in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. They may not be the prettiest rolls on the planet, but man, are they tasty!

No comments: